Friday, December 5, 2008

Bah Humbug

Missing atheist sign found in Washington state (CNN)

I would like to point out that, "An atheist sign criticizing Christianity that was erected alongside a Nativity scene was taken from the Legislative Building in Olympia, Washington, on Friday and later found in a ditch." is not correct. The sign did not criticize Christianity. It criticized religion. But I can see how monotheists might assume incorrectly. The text of the sign read:

"At this season of the winter solstice, may reason prevail. There are no gods, no devils, no angels, no heaven or hell. There is only our natural world. Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds."

I hear it has since been replaced, complete with attached note citing, "Thou shalt not steal." I haven't verified that part, though.

I just don't get why this is an issue. Remove ALL religious paraphernalia from government buildings. Duh.

1 comment: