Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Real World

In the midst of waiting for a new stove, and waiting for my husband to get home so I can go to the dentist, I'm reminded how thankful I am to be who I am, living where I do. I don't have time to do my whole rant. I'll get to that later, if I can.

Meanwhile, please read this news story:
Saudis defend punishment for rape victim

And by all means, comment!

I may come across (in fact, I may be) a bit of a cultural relativist... but there are boundaries which - when pushed - find my sympathetic nature shutting down. This is one of those.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I'm a borderline cultural relativist. Human rights are human rights PERIOD. I don't give a shit what form of radical Islam you practice this is wrong. Honestly, f$#! your freakish perversion form of Islam.

    The bittersweet thing is, this story happened to make it out of SA. The cynical side of me says fantastic people will bitch, rant and rave and the issue will take the back burner again. You'd be fooling yourself to think that this is rare occurance over there.

    Not a popular opinion and certainly not a PC one at that, but the rest of the Middle Eastern governments don't do enough to denounce this disgusting interpretation of Islam.

    Women all over the world need to unite and bring about change. Sure as shit can't reply on the men to do so. What would happen if all the ME women joined together in mass mutiny?

    I wish we'd hurry up and work on some better forms of alternative energy. Let's as our own country rely on ourselves for our energy. Then we can give the ME the bird. Which ultimately is the reason our governments doesn't do shit about these human rights violations.

    Damn sure makes thankful I live in the USA. Our country isn't all bell and roses, but I'd rather live here than anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete