Thursday, March 19, 2009

Yesterday, after dinner, my husband and I made an unusual decision. When a neighbor girl knocked on our door, right in the middle of dinner as the sun was going down and darkness descending, asking if G-Rex could come out to play, we reversed our usual, "No, we're eating dinner," and allowed G-Rex to go out. (How's that for a looooooooong sentence?) Why? Because the neighbor girl explained that they were moving and would probably not be here the following day.

I quizzed G-Rex, when she returned, about this sudden move. Why had we never seen a For Sale sign? Never heard anything about an impending departure? G said the neighbor girl told her that there was no sign because neighbor girl's parents didn't think there was any point in trying to sell the house. As for the sudden move, G didn't know and I'm doubting they had much motivation to broadcast their intentions.

Is ours going to be the only occupied house on our block?

In a similar exsanguinating vein, my lovely friend, Butterfly posted this link to an NPR story: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=101386052. It's an interesting read.

My next door neighbors have moved out, but left their bird feeder behind. I can currently see the birds jousting for space and fighting over seeds. I wonder how much time they have before the feeder is empty.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder where they will go though? How can they pay for a home/place to live anywhere else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How incredibly sad. Its amazing how those corporate schmucks can go about their day to day lives and not see the cost of their actions on the everyday person, you know the ones who keep them in their pampered lives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was mentioned in your blog! Yay, that gives me a smile. And I also learned a new word (slowly sounding out "ex-san-gui-na-ting".) Now I can pretend to be smarter in my blogs, lol! Wow the description of the birdfeeder is so poetic and so tragic and WOW you need to be a professional writer. To answer Western Warmth's question... the people who are allowing their homes to go into foreclosure are going to have to find an apartment complex that takes people with REALLY lousy credit, which can be veeeeeeery hard to find, and if they do find it, they will need a hefty deposit, which, if they were in such finanically dire straits to begin with...well, all I can say is I hope they saw this coming far enough in advance that they were able to squirel something away, and time it just perfectly so that that savings wasn't drained in a bankruptcy (and you quite often need to file bankruptcy witha foreclosure, or the bank can come after you for the difference between the auction price and what you owe on it.) It's a VERY scary situation that I know all too well. And a very humbling and humiliating position to be in, and you beg and plead with anyone you can to PLEASE co-sign for you so you don't end up living in ghetto-ville, or in a shelter, or god knows where. And why should anyone take the risk of co-signing for you when you've lost your house and filed bankruptcy?!? It's a great way to wreck relationships (which I can also personally attest to) as person after person (rightfully) says no to you.
    ~Butterfly

    ReplyDelete